Premium Intraocular Lens
A premium intraocular lens (IOL) is a new type of IOL used in cataract patients that enables the patients to view both far distance and near distance objects without using glasses. Earlier, monofocal lenses were used in cataract surgery where patient could see the far distance objects with the new artificial lens implanted during surgery and they required additional glasses or lens to enable them to see the near distance objects or for reading. Now the premium IOLs offer more benefits than monofocal lenses used earlier.
A cataract is a condition which causes clouding of the natural lens of the eye, resulting in blurring or glaring of vision. Surgery is the only treatment for cataracts and is recommended based on the severity of the disease and the impact on the daily activities of the patient. During the surgery, the cloudy lens is removed and replaced with a clear plastic lens in the same lens capsule as the natural lens.
Types of premium IOLs include:
- Multi-Focal Lenses : A multifocal lens provides excellent vision after cataract surgery at various distances. Multifocal lenses work much like bifocal eyeglasses that have multiple focal zones enabling the patient for distance and near vision. In certain cases, these lenses are different in each eye to enable better vision at intermediate distances.
- Accommodating Lens : Accommodating intraocular lenses use the muscles in the eye to bend the lens like the natural lens. This bending change the shape of the lens and provides focus at varying distances.
- Dual-Optic Accommodating Lens : A Dual-Optic Lens is a premium lens that incorporates two different lens pieces, which adapt with the natural movements of the eye. This type of lens allows vision at all distances much like a combination of accommodating Lens and a multi-Focal lens.
- Toric lens : Toric intraocular lenses are a type of premium lens that can be used to treat astigmatism (blurred vision).
- Light Adjustable Lens (LAL): This type of lens is more accurate and versatile. It is capable of producing optics with aspheric (large distance vision), toxicity (astigmatism correction) and multimodality (provides both distance and near vision).